The Sting Volleyball Academy has been running for a number of years now, and is an elite sporting program which aims to develop student athletes who can demonstrate character strengths such as Leadership, Teamwork, Persistence and Gratitude. The academy allows students to represent their school at a range of high level competitions, and offers many opportunities for students to go further and play in District, Regional, State and National Representative Teams. The Sting Volleyball Academy also strives to expose students to talent identification avenues such as the Queensland Academy of Sport & Volleyball Queensland.
'The overall focus of the Sting Volleyball Academy Program at Shailer Park State High School is to develop young athletes who are committed to reaching their potential both in the classroom and on the courts.'
The Sting Volleyball Academy targets students who:
- Have a strong desire to learn
- Are determined & willing to work hard
- Have a passion for playing, coaching & training for Volleyball at an excellent level
- Have big plans and bold ambitions
- Are reflective & demonstrate an excellent level of classroom behaviour and effort
The Academy provides an optimal environment for high ability students, and focuses on providing students with the opportunity to train and learn about volleyball at a high level of excellence. As part of the Academy, students will be exposed to a range of learning experiences both on the court and in the classroom. These learning experiences will require a depth of knowledge and understanding, an application of range of critical and creative thinking skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with peers.
Opportunities within the Sting Volleyball Academy:
As part of the program, Sting Volleyball Academy students are offered a range of volleyball tournaments and opportunities. These include:
- Queensland Volleyball School Cup
- Australian Volleyball Schools Cup
- Queensland Beach Volleyball Schools Cup
- Opportunity to trial for representative teams at various levels (Pacific District team, South Coast Region team, Queensland State team).
- Opportunity to be exposed to talent identification avenues such as the Queensland Academy of Sport & Volleyball Queensland.
As part of the Sting Volleyball Academy, students are required to pay a levy of $200 to cover the following expenses:
- Uniform (one playing jersey with student name and number and one formal academy dress shirt)
- Consumables including training balls, game balls, training equipment, laundry costs
- Sporting and First Aid equipment, facility maintenance and repairs
- Volleyball Queensland Membership Fees (required for entry into all Volleyball Queensland events)
- Training facility costs and specialist coaching
For further information please contact our Sting Volleyball Academy Director.