The Shailer Park State High School’s Guidance Officer provides a guidance and counselling service for students and their parents/guardians. The service enables students to successfully balance an increasingly broad and challenging range of educational and developmental issues that challenge them in their progress through high school.
These issues can include career goals, parent-adolescent relationships, grief and loss, peer relationships as well as mental health concerns. Within the school the Guidance Officer works with other members of the Student Care Team, Administration and Teaching staff for the benefit of the student.
- Assist students to select subjects and courses appropriate to their interests
- Help in developing successful and effective study skills
- Help students and parents/guardians to interpret school assessment and provide information on tertiary entry (OP scores/QCS test, tertiary rank selection) and the QCE
- Help students obtain accurate, up-to-date information on careers, courses, school-based traineeships and apprenticeships, TAFE courses and private training organisations
- Tertiary pathways – Universities and or private colleges
- Personal counselling for students and parents/guardians
- Help students successfully resolve personal concerns which may adversely affect progress at school and home
- Enhance students resilience and coping skills with stressful situations during their adolescent years
- Enhance parents coping skills
- Where necessary act as a liaison/referral person to community agencies and/or specialist organisations (Department of Children’s Services) on Student Protection issues.
How to make an appointment
Students and parents/guardians can make an appointment in person through the reception desk in the front office or by calling (07) 3451 2777.
School based youth health nurse
Sarah Mitchell is our permanent school based nurse, a Paediatric trained Clinical Nurse who has worked in the areas of Children’s Oncology, Diabetes, Meningitis and general medicine. With nearly 20 years’ experience in community nursing, School Based Nursing for 10 years here in Australia and nearly 10 in the UK. Sarah is available every Monday and Thursday.
Students and parents/guardians can make an appointment via the front office (07) 3451 2777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.